Saturday, December 09, 2006

Winds 240 at 15.

I had no luck last weekend with the weather. It was rainy and my instructor had the weekend off. It's only recently turned cold and we barely have any snow on the ground whatsoever. We're pretty much still in the transition from fall to winter here. Today was a good chance to see how it's going to feel like flying in cold weather. With the wind out of the Southwest like it was, the wind chill was brisk. I put the hood up on my coat so at least when I was facing away from the wind, my head was warm.

I met Mary Carpenter today too. She is the examiner that passed my sister. She was nice and friendly and when I mentioned that my sister had her for the checkride, she asked how she was doing and then asked what got me interested. So I gave her the short story about me. It was nice talking to her

Today's flight was a little hop to Lapeer and back. It was an interesting flight, with the wind. Even when we were pointing straight north, we were still moving to the northeast. Pretty neat how that works. It took about 20 minutes to get to Lapeer. It's a nice airport, similar to Romeo State. They both have north-south runways and are uncontrolled. It was choppy below about 2800 ft and on the way to Lapeer, we went up to 3500 ft and it smoothed out. You can imagine how much fun I was having doing landings in the chop. So 4 landings later, we left Lapeer and headed back to PTK. We only climbed to 2500 ft. and it was choppy. Not too bad but enough to make me feel like I did when I first started flying, overwhelmed. My altitude was way off, up or down and I'd correct for it and then it would be below 2500, etc. I'm still not flaring enough. I'm not discouraged because I know that with more practice, my ability to control the airplane will improve.

Today's time was 1.3 for a total of 15.1 (13.5 day, 1.6 night) with 57 landings (47 day, 10 night).

No comments: